Sunday, March 19, 2006

With a little help from my friends...

Let me tell you a little story...

On April 19th of 2004 I came home to my husband and told him I wanted to adopt a baby. He was a tad floored and tried to put me off a bit. "Okay...I hear you...but lets take some time, lets figure this all out. Lets see how we feel in a couple of months."

He wasn't being horrible. I was. I just kinda dropped this on him and told him to "get on board or get out of the station". I was 100% committed. He was not. He understandably took time.

Needing support and dying for information I joined an adoption forum in May of 2004. While there I met some of the best friends I've never seen face to face I've ever had in my life. All of us had a story that was unique and special. Our lives were all very different. Trish the non-conformist was the first of us to receive her daughter and she acted in may ways as our guiding light. She was proof the impossible could happen. Karen, recovering from cancer was our inspiration, Becca who had been through several unsuccessful IVF procedures was our wisdom, and Astra (her nickname--actually another Karen) was on her journey to her daughter after remarrying and successfully raising a son to adulthood. She was our "earth mother". (Me...well I was comic relief. LOL) I bonded with them, along with others on the forum. Eventually, Becca formed a private group and we all joined. We talked together, we argued, we supported each other staunchly, we cried--both out of frustration and joy and we became friends.

All of us have our daughters now...save one. Astra. And she is in China right now picking up her beautiful Cadence Faye. Another fairy child--just as Lydia is a fairy child. And with the arrival of Cadence comes the end of the original group's journey. I have many other friends now: some have their children, some are still waiting. But we the original Adoption.com group from May 2004 are about to finish our adoption story and continue on with our story about a group of friends who all have a beautiful daughter.

Russell of course did "get on board". But when he was still waivering y'all were there for me. And I thank you.

WE ALL DID IT LADIES!! (Now Becca onto #2 for you!)

http://homepage.mac.com/andersenscott/The_Cady_Chase/
Go here to read The Cady Chase and see Astra become a mommy!

5 Comments:

Blogger My Baby Ain't White said...

It has been a tremendous journey, hasn't it? One that I'm sure none of us would trade for the world. So wonderful to follow along as Lydia grows and prospers, all the while entertaining us at the same time!

~Karen

Sunday, March 19, 2006 4:57:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I can't think of nicer people to have all of this in common with! Karen and Scott should be getting Cady at this very moment! I can almost feel their excitment all the way over here on the other side of the world!

Donna (aka Becca)
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:55:00 PM  
Blogger Yoli said...

You guys have gone full circle. You should all get together and take a picture with each other and your beautiful children. Logistics are hard but maybe some day in the not so distant future.

Yoli
Mom to Sally in Inner Mongolia

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you all were so close. From reading some of the stuff on the MSN boards, I thought that Becca had a real problem with Karen. I'm glad I was wrong.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lissa said...

I cannot speak for others, I can only say this: I feel close to these people.
Lissa :-)

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home