Thursday, February 09, 2006

I must have done something good


My husband loves me. It is the ONLY explanation why he is still around after 8 years of marriage to me. See I have a really time consuming job. Like BIGTIME time consuming job. It takes me away from home a lot. When we received our refferal for Lydia we weren't even together. He puts up with that well. He also puts up with my disdain for housework, my moodswings, my love for taking in strays, my students (who aren't alwasy polite to him) calling at all hours, and countless other unreasonableness that comes with loving me.
Because of this mysterious love he holds for me...Russell does a lot around here. He is the calm drink of water in the ocean of chaos that is our lives. When I just can't take it anymore, Russell takes over and makes it better.
Several of my friends were talking about their husbands the other day and they were commenting about how they got little to no help around the house or with the baby. And honestly, the conversation was foreign to me because Russell helps so incredibly much.
He has taken up the extra house work so I can have more baby time. It's in part because he's done that I credit Lydia's swift and firm adjustment into our family. While I am the principle caretaker of Lydia...Russell is an integral part of the care of the baby. After sharing bathing duties he puts her to bed everynight. A task for which I am ill suited as I always seem to wind her up no matter how hard I try to calm her down. Russell has the patience I lack and Lydia needs to enter into the land of Nod. I rarely see a diaper on weekends. He will scoop her up and take her to be changed and tell me to take a break. When I am at a burn out point, Russell is always there...ready to play with his daughter, ready to distract her attention away from whatever it is she is doing that she shouldn't be doing.
Anyway...I just wanted to thank Russell and tell him I love him completely. While I tell him I love him several times a day, I don't thank him enough. Mostly because I could thank him every second and it still wouldn't be enough praise for everything he does for me and Liddy. I don't know what I did to deserve him, but I sure am glad I did it!

Something Good
Perhaps I had a wicked childhood
Perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somwhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth

For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Lissa, that is so special! I feel the same way about my husband, it is so cool when you have found your perfect other half!

I know Derek will be a good daddy like Russell, I just hope I am as good a mommy and wife as you are!

Just remember, all those things you do that you think are unreasonable are what makes you you and what makes Russell love you so much!

Take care, I really enjoy reading your blog!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Lissa,

Isn't great to have such a terrific guy in your life! I know cause I have one in mine.

Russell probably has just as many wonderful things to say about you and how lucky he is to have you & Lydia.

Monica
(mk)

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Lissa, I suspect you're pretty easy to love! Heck, I feel pretty affectionate towards you and we've never even met!

I think you're both luck to have each other. And Lydia is luckiest of all to have such wonderful parents who love one another and HER.

I bought a plaque when I was a teenager and I still have it. It says: "The greatest gift a father can give his children is to love their mother." All these years later, I still get misty eyed when I read that.

Donna
Mom to Gwen of Shenzhen!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger Yoli said...

Like the song says, "nothing comes from nothing" so I think you must be pretty special. Your Russ knows this and I would love to hear his post on this matter.

You guys have a lovely marriage, completely supportive of each other.

Yoli

Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I had tears..I am a S of M nut and when I saw the heading I knew it just had to relate to the movie. Reading your post, seeing the picture (which by the way is priceless) and then reading the song made me tear up....


maav

Friday, February 10, 2006 6:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home