Sunday, April 23, 2006

A letter from the president


Nope, not the President of the United States, the president of the University. While I don't have the official "rubber stamped" approval of the Board of Regents I have jumped what many people consider to be the real final hurdle of the process; the president's office. I passed every committee with flying colours and now await final approval from the BOR. In the history of my university the board has never turned down approval if they have received the green light from the president's office...so I am feeling pretty confident. I think it's actually gonna happen.

When I started in higher ed as an adjunct in 1994--it became my goal to be an assistant professor and have tenure. It was a dream really. An achievable dream--but a dream none the less. I was thrilled when I became a full time lecturer in 1996 and even more thrilled when I was promoted to an Assistant Prof in 2000. I was thrilled, but also terrified. It was time to "prove myself". A woman director in the south who, yes does do children's theatre, but not primarily is an uncommon entity. Women are often subjugated to the role of director of children while seemingly "more substantial" and serious work is given to men. I did children's theatre and still do children's theatre not as a consolation, but because it IS substantial and it hasa very important place in my heart...but I also do Shakespeare, Euripides, Shepard, Friel, Opera, Musical Theatre, Experimental Theatre, etc. Because it too is in my heart. I do more than what many women are allowed, because I don't want to be limited. I do it because I don't have to be limited. I do it because I WON'T be limited. I have been very fortunate to have a Chair who believes in me. A chair who wanted me to succeed and who gave me opportunities to prove myself. And now with tenure...comes a word I have longed to hear for a long time. Freedom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff and Madeline said...

Congrats!!! What an accomplishment.

Best wishes to you!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Lissa. I know what a huge achievement this is. Enjoy your new status!

Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home